Saturday, December 06, 2008

Rain or Shine

It felt good to get out today and do some estate and yard sales. We've been so busy lately, I've not had a chance. Being that it was cold and wet this morning, and I wasn't too anxious to leave my warm home (I know I seem like a wimp to all the east coast die-hards), I only hit up a few sales...As you all know, the later it gets the less desirable items are all that's left, and all I can think about is how much gas I'm wasting as I visit sales that only consist of kitchen crap and very used shoes.

Anyway, I was happy with the items I did find after visiting 1 estate sale and 3 yard sales. Pictured above is the lot of my odd but fun mix vintage stuff. I was a little bummed I didn't find more vintage Christmas stuff; in particular I would have loved to find vintage wrapping paper or tags. I was also on the hunt for old home and garden magazines. The estate sale I went to seemed so promising with drawers, cupboards, and boxes full of stuff. Seemed like the perfect hiding place for Christmas paper goods and ephemera but unfortunately for me, it was more of a quilter's paradise. I did manage to find a little Davy Crockett mug made by Hazel-Atlas, which was just sitting by itself away in a side cupboard of the kitchen. Some of my best finds at estate sales have been the items that are still not unpacked from cupboards, drawers, and boxes because these are the items that are less likely to get picked over by those who manage to haul their butts out of bed earlier than me. Plus, the folks running the estate may be less likely know the worth of these items and offer them up at great prices!

I also found the lot of silly vintage Santa light covers at this estate. The rest of the stuff I actually found at one yard sale.

A collectible but not all too PC "Kiddie" Davy Crockett mug by Hazel-Atlas. Valued at $18-$20 according to my Hazel-Atlas Glass book.


Vintage enamel pin in great condition!


A congregation of fuzzy Santa tree light covers.


A vintage mariachi noise maker!


I couldn't resist the plastic Christmas candelabra, which you can see in the first picture. I actually got two of them! Kitschy but fun! And I also got the wooden trencher (bowl) at the same yard sale. I'm keeping that one...Right now it is being used to hold vintage glass ornaments!

I will be selling most of these finds in my online vintage store and/or on eBay, so stop by and see what you can get! We also have a lot of other vintage finds and vintage-inspired home decor!

~Jeannie

No comments: